Re: [Help-gnu-radius] How can use radius to disconnect user on nas

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] How can use radius to disconnect user on nas
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 16:14:31 +0300

Hello Farooq,

Both your questions actually refer more to the features of a NAS than
to those of the server.

> =>Can i use radius to disconnect a authenticated user who is
> connected to Nas.

The radius protocol does not define any method by which a radius
server can draw the attention of the NAS. The server only *responds*
to requests, it cannot send a command to the NAS.

Possibly your question may be simplified to: "can I disconnect
a user after he had used up the allowed time". If so, the answer is
yes, you can. Add an appropriate Session-Timeout attribute to your
reply pairs.

> => When a user authenticated via radius .. after authentication radius insert
> all its record to calls tables.
> like user_name ip address, connect time , etc
> But what i observe, it enter session time 0  and session time is updated
> aftter the user disconnected.
> Is there any configuration in radius/nas that can be use to update this
> session time after certain interval.

There exist so-called "keepalive" or "interim" packets. These are the
packets that the NAS sends when either periodically within a
predefined interval of time, or when it has obtained some new
information about the session. See your NAS documentation for the
information on how to configure these.

Regards,
Sergey