Re: file mode synonymous with major mode

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: file mode synonymous with major mode
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:08:54 +0100

On Thu, Mar 28 2024, Heime wrote:
> Reading the emacs manual '24.3 Choosing File Modes'. Is it correct to assert
> that
> the file mode is synonymous with the major mode ?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Choosing-Modes.html

Given that that page talks about both major and minor modes, I'd say no. It
rather refers to any modes activated for a specific file.

Note that it's hardly an issue. "File mode" does not have any specific meaning
in Emacs (unlike major and minor mode), so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
(In fact, going through the manual, there appears to be another use of the term
"file mode", referring to what is more commonly called "file permissions": see
(info "(emacs) Misc File Ops").)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments