Selectively changing/inhibiting character composition?

From: Marcus Harnisch
Subject: Selectively changing/inhibiting character composition?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:19:29 +0100

Hi All

While I am quite happy with character composition using ligature.el, there is one particular feature that would like to see.

Some programming languages reuse certain character sequences in different contexts. E.g. in Verilog the character sequence “<=” could be an assignment operator or a less-or-equal operator, depending on the context.

The latter should be composited using the ligature for “less than or equal to”, while in the former case I'd rather get a fancy arrow ligature (ideally) or no ligature at all.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Cheers,
Marcus