Re: failing creating multiple indirect org buffers .

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: failing creating multiple indirect org buffers .
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 02:07:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > Speaking of Org files i mean that trying to create a CloneB of the
> > Base will not have it's own heading's folding but mirrow that of
> > the CloneA or Base.
>
> Isn't that expected?  That's what clone-indirect-buffer is about, I
> think.

Not really: Org headline folding is implemented using overlays carrying
an 'invisible' overlay property.  So folding could work in indirect
clones independently - because overlays are not shared.

But I am exactly seeing this, actually.  Folding in all indirect clones
works independently for me, even when there are more than 2 clones.  And
even if I clone a clone.  In emacs -Q.

Such things don't work reliably always, however.  For example, when
anything relies on text properties, which are shared, things break.  So
whether things like this work as expected often depends on
implementation details that don't matter in any other situation (and
what the user expects).  Using indirect clones is always an a bit
fragile matter in my experience.

Michael.