Re: Problem with new frame not recognizing `default-frame-alist' width a

From: tpeplt
Subject: Re: Problem with new frame not recognizing `default-frame-alist' width and height
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:13:05 -0500

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> 4. Set the width and height to larger values by setting the value of
>>    the association list ‘default-frame-alist’.  Evaluate the
>>    expression:
>>
>>    (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 25)))
>
> You might need to add `(user-size . t)` to those settings.
> But maybe the real problem is at step 2 and prevents everything else
> from working.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I attempted it (that is, added (user-size
. t) to the ‘setq’ expression before creating a new frame), but it did
not change the result (new frame is small).

Based on what Eli Zaretskii wrote in another reply, it appears that the
problem has been reported already (bug #67654).  I had searched through
this mailing list archives (Emacs help) before asking here about the
problem, but had not searched through the mailing list archives for
Emacs bugs (because I was assuming that it must have been my error
because it is such a large, reproducible problem).