RE: [External] : Browsing a set of dir of files in a single buffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Browsing a set of dir of files in a single buffer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 00:22:14 +0000

> Does anyone know a nice Emacs package that lets me view that whole
> hierarchy in a single buffer, as if it were something like a big
> `outline-mode` file?
>
> It'd be a bit like dired-mode but where you can see (and hopefully
> edit)
> the files directly in the dired buffer simply by "folding/unfolding"
> them.

I know there are such packages, but I can't
say what they are off the top of my head.
Hopefully someone else will let you know.
___

With Dired+ you can just use `C-u M-+ M-i'.

You don't get a tree view.  Instead, you get
a Dired buffer with all subdirs inserted,
recursively (i.e., all the way down).  You
can use `C-x C-q' to enter WDired on the
whole buffer - edit to your heart's content.
___

Why the crazy key `C-u M-+ M-i' (you can bind
another of course)?

`i' inserts a subdir (and in Dired+ it takes
you back to the subdir line in the parent).

`M-i' inserts just the marked subdirs (no
recursive descent).

Prefix `M-+' is for recursive-descent.
`M-+ M-i' is the recursive-descent version
of `M-i'.

`C-u' says "Act on ALL files and subdirs"
not those that are marked.

Without a prefix arg the `M-+' commands act
on all marked files and subdirs, and on all
that are marked in existing Dired buffers of
marked subdirs (recursively).
___

Individual inserted subdir listings in Dired
(not just Dired+) can use different switches.
That's one difference from a tree view.
___

HTH.