Re: How many packages do you use?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How many packages do you use?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:11:45 +0100

Arsen Arsenović wrote:

>>   $ grep -h -o '(require .*)' **/*.el | sort -u | wc -l
>>
>> I use 159!
>
>   ~$ qlist -I app-emacs/ | wc -l
>   63
>
> ... and a few more through USE=emacs.

?

What commands and directory are those?

>> Isn't it amazing that one almost never has any collisions
>> doing it? Actually, I can't think of a single time that
>> happened. But maybe it happened once or twice as I don't
>> remember everything that happens.
>
> Depending on what you mean by collisions, I might or might
> not have had some.

If you bring in a bunch of stuff onto a global namespace, you
get a collision if two things are called the same.

>> Maybe this shows that built-in and/or enforced modularity
>> is over-rated?
>
> I'm not sure I can agree even if that were true - I don't
> see how one implies the other.

One way of doing it is to have everything refered to by a full
path or other composition notation involving the module name,
so some function 'sin' from the package 'math' would be called
by 'math:sin' or using some similar syntax to that end. And if
there are two packages called 'math' one would etc etc.

But any such schemes seems to be unnecessary, at least here.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal