Re: Rmail tips

From: Ben Hancock
Subject: Re: Rmail tips
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 06:01:14 -0800

Fernando de Morais <fernandodemorais.jf@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe this answer is long overdue and now, after a few months of
> use, you should have already configured RMAIL to suit your needs.
>
> However, here are some recommendations for things that were helpful to
> me when using RMAIL:

Thanks for your kind reply and these helpful snippets, Fernando. I just
recently started using Mairix, which has been great.

The one thing I still haven't found the optimal approach for in RMAIL is
filtering mails into dedicated mailboxes -- for example, for high-volume
mailing lists, that I may want to keep out of my regular RMAIL inbox.

I've tried using the rmail-automatic-folder-directives variable to
handle this, but it has the downside that mails are marked as seen when
they are filed away; they also still land in the main RMAIL file first.

My MTA (maildrop) of course can put incoming mails into specific files
based on conditions. But if I just visit those files with RMAIL, i.e. by
using the 'i' command, there is also no distinction between what is old
and what is unseen. It seems that I would have to configure those files
as separate _inboxes_, and fetch mail from them into another RMAIL file.

That's doable, but I'm wondering if there's another way ... or if I
should abandon filtering altogether and just search?

Cheers,

Ben