Re: What should I use to unrestrict a buffer?

From: hw
Subject: Re: What should I use to unrestrict a buffer?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:30:17 +0100

On Thu, 2024-01-25 at 09:14 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: hw <hw@adminart.net>
> > Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:12:56 +0100
> >
> > Also, I don't want possible restrictions to be restored, like
> > (without-restriction) would do.
>
> Why not?  After you do whatever you need to do with the widened
> buffer, you are supposed to return the restrictions to their previous
> state, and that includes restoring the restrictions present before the
> widening.  Why would you need to avoid restoring them, and thus change
> the restrictions behind some other Lisp program which doesn't expect
> its restrictions to be lifted?

I want to behold the whole buffer after the operation was performed to
see if the outcome looks ok.  And if the external program has found an
error, it puts a message into the first line of its output (the
buffer) which I'm unlikely to be able to see when the buffer is
restricted.

Keeping or restoring restrictions wouldn't be useful.