Re: eshell command substitution?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: eshell command substitution?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 17:29:32 +0100

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:12:22 -0500 Jeff Clough <jeff@jeffclough.net> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> This should work (see (info "(eshell) Dollars Expansion")):
>>
>> $ g++ base.cpp -o base ${pkg-config gtkmm-3.0 --cflags --libs}
>>
>> Steve Berman
>
> Progress! Running that command, I get the proper output from pkg-config,
> but it's wrapped in single quotes, which the compiler doesn't like.

Hm, it works for me, i.e. the file (I took a random file of C++ source
code) was compiled and an object file produced.  Also, when I run `print
${pkg-config gtkmm-3.0 --cflags --libs}' in Eshell the output is not
wrapped in any quotes.  This is with both emacs-29 and emacs-30.  Are
you using a different version?

Steve Berman