Re: emacs 29.1 ignoring terminal color palette

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 29.1 ignoring terminal color palette
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 14:53:15 +0200

> From: "Yamajala, Seshu" <seshu@slac.stanford.edu>
> Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:21:20 +0000
>
> I recently upgraded to emacs 29.1 and my theme does not seem to be rendering
> correctly anymore. I use xfce4-terminal and emacs without x11, my term is set
> screen256-color, but there is a noticable difference between the ways color
> are
> rendered with emacs 29.1 and emacs 27.2.
>
> There is an example here: https://i.imgur.com/Ti0uLvt.png
>
> On the left is emacs 29.1 and on the right is emacs 27.2. The right is what I
> expect to see with emacs 29.1. I'm not sure how to debug this.

It looks like Emacs 27.2 was using only 88 colors, that's where the
color-NN color names come from.  Emacs 29, by contrast, uses 256
colors or maybe even more.

So one way to have what you want is to "downgrade" your TERM
definition to screen88-color (assuming such a profile exists).  OTOH,
I don't really understand why would you want to have fewer colors in
your Emacs, but that's me.

Another possibility is that you are somehow affected by the
COLORTERM=truecolor bug in 'screen'; see etc/PROBLEMS for the details.
(Btw, if your terminal is xfce4, why is your TERM set to
screen256-color? doesn't xfce4 come with its own terminfo definition
that you could use instead?)