Google Cloud Platform's Cloud Shell has Emacs installed by default.

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Google Cloud Platform's Cloud Shell has Emacs installed by default.
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 20:36:55 -0500

The Emacs version installed on Google's Cloud Shell is:

GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) of 2023-02-23, modified by
Debian

Cloudshell intro:

Each GCP "Google Cloud Platform" userid has a home directory somewhere
in Google's file land.  One most likely will never know where this
magical hard-drive is, but we do know that it affords us a Linux
interface that is within the Browser. A couple of steps from that point
and the Cloud Shell can get disconnected from the browswer and be turned
into a stand-alone frame very much like someone's Telnet session, or
maybe looks more like an X-Window.

When I get to that point, I then type emacs and and I can use it fairly
happily because the keystrokes are no longer intercepted by the browser.

Except, the C-v is typed to some "xterm" functionality.  I cannot figure
out what simplisity I might be missing.  The C-v navigation still does
the Windows Paste.

Here are two back-to-back .emacs entries in my cloudshell's .emacs.  A
C-h k for each of them is indented below them, but the only two lines
are the elisp lines.  The first one shows my key combo works for getting
me toggle-truncate-lines, but same does not work for scroll-up-command.

(global-set-key (kbd "\C-ct") 'toggle-truncate-lines)

    C-c t runs the command toggle-truncate-lines (found in global-map),
    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function.

    It is bound to C-c t.

(global-set-key (kbd "\C-v") 'scroll-up-command)

    <xterm-paste> runs the command xterm-paste (found in global-map),
    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘term/xterm.elc’

    It is bound to <xterm-paste>.

    (xterm-paste EVENT)

What might I be missing to turn the C-v combo from <xterm-paste> to
'scroll-up-command?

--
Galen Boyer