Re: Fwd: Fails to bring up a back trace

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: Fwd: Fails to bring up a back trace
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:38:04 +0100

On 11/30/23 11:17, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 10:47:36AM +0100, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
On 11/30/23 05:58, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 10:43:45AM +1300, Davin Pearson wrote:

[...]

Yet it fails to bring up an error backtrace.
I fear this is too scant a context to feed educated guesses. But
this, at least, looks wrong to me:

I also tried the following command:

emacs --geometry 2048x1024 --eval "(setq debug-on-error)" --debug-init &
... it should be "(setq debug-on-error t)".

A possible approach to backtracking on Linux might be to improve or enhance
GNU emacs to use Ian Taylor's libbacktrace open source library. The
libbacktrace source code is on
https://github.com/ianlancetaylor/libbacktrace
[...]

Hi, Basile

I think (but I may be wrong, of course) the OP's problem was much simpler
and they were just after a plain boring Lisp stack trace.

But recent GNU emacs can be built to use the libgccjit library to translate emacs lisp code to machine code, and can also be built to accept emacs modules, that is dlopen-ed shared libraries. See https://phst.eu/emacs-modules.html

I tend to believe that a plain boring Lisp stack trace is not always enough (since emacs lisp bytecode is sometimes translated to maching code, or because of emacs modules).

That saie, I'm still a fan of your work :)

Thanks. The issue is find funding and ITEA or HorizonEurope consortium supporting https://github.com/RefPerSys/RefPerSys/

Cheers

--
Basile Starynkevitch