How to send email from Emacs?

From: Jakub T. Jankiewicz
Subject: How to send email from Emacs?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:31:08 +0100

I was searching but I'm not able to find any information about this. I've
found some old question "cannot send mail by emacs+gnus" that have the same
error as I have:

454 4.7.1 <jcubic@onet.pl>: Relay access denied

I have this setup:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "jcubic.<server>")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq user-mail-address "jcubic@<server>")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)

And when I send an email I got this:

220 u1.atthost.pl ESMTP Postfix
250-u1.atthost.pl
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 1024000000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
MAIL FROM:<jcubic@jcubic.pl> SIZE=230
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO:<jcubic@onet.pl>
454 4.7.1 <jcubic@onet.pl>: Relay access denied
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye

Process smtpmail<1> deleted

No AUTH LOGIN.

I've read in docs that smtpmail-auth-credentials is deprecated and it doesn't
have any [documentation][1]. And that you should use ~/.authinfo I've put the
info there but it doesn't work. ALso the documentation says that it ask for
username/password when it first runs but I didn't asked for anything just
fail and try to send email without any credentials.

[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/smtpmail/Authentication.html

So how should I send an email with SMTP in Emacs? I've bump into that when
trying to send bug report. I've send it using my email client eventually but
I want to know how to send an email from Emacs.

--
Jakub T. Jankiewicz, Senior Front-End Developer
https://jcubic.pl/me