Re: delete all whitespace (space) in a region

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: delete all whitespace (space) in a region
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:41:05 +0100

Am 09.11.23 um 06:34 schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:
On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 09:24:53PM -0500, tpeplt wrote:
Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>  writes:
If you don't want to confirm for the replacements, you could instead do
this:

(defun my-delete-all-whitespace-region (beg end)
   (interactive "r")
   (save-excursion
     (goto-char beg)
     (while (re-search-forward " " end t)
       (replace-match ""))))
A small optimisation would be to use the regexp " +", meaning one
or more spaces.

Emacs 28 added the function ‘replace-string-in-region’.

(defun my-delete-all-whitespace-region (beg end)
   (interactive "r")
   (save-excursion
     (replace-string-in-region " " "" beg end)))
To have this here, you'd have to "replace-regexp-in-region", of
course.

Cheers

BTW the code using replace-string-in-region and the form above are not equivalent.

The latter updates the end, whereas the previous keeps the old limit, which may do unexpected deletions.

Cheers,

Andreas