Re: Tips for upgrading emacs

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: Tips for upgrading emacs
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:19:49 -1000

> Can others reading this contribute any tips for things to do after
> upgrading emacs?

The one and only "must do" that I've found is to go to
/usr/share/emacs/29.1/lisp (substitute new version for 29.1)
and 'sudo rm -Rf org'.

This is because I get the latest org from the package manager
and having a mixed installation is a problem.  So this is not
required if you just want to use the org version as delivered
with the new emacs version.

Generally if you keep your elisp packages up to date you
shouldn't have a problem.  Even then, elisp is backward
compatible.  I'm sure there are edge cases and exceptions but
I've never had to do much of anything when upgrading emacs,
which in any case for me is not frequent as I don't stay
bleeding edge.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i