Template-like string escapes in a major mode

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Template-like string escapes in a major mode
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:05:39 +0300

Hello. I have a major mode that I've been slowly developing on and off.

One thing that's left to implement for me is template engine-like string escapes. For example lets say we have a string "My name is [name]", where name should be treated as if it was outside of the string. Note that [] brackets can also appear normally like any C-inspired language, so they're only special within the "" quotes.

The way I understood is that I can't just rely on the syntax classes here and I have to write my own syntax-propertize-function. But this also seems like a very typical problem that's been solved in many existing major modes, so I somewhat expect someone to have the exact syntax-propertize-function I'm looking for already developed and tested. Any other pointers would be welcome too.