Re: The Menu is slow, how to find out why?

From: tpeplt
Subject: Re: The Menu is slow, how to find out why?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:54:57 -0400

Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
>   I have a strange problem: the menu takes 1-2 seconds to open.
>
> I have read that one shouldn't use the menu, and I might agree,
> but: my personal keybindungs have come a long way, and they are

1. One source of slow-down with Emacs is the toolbar and tool-tips.
If you have these turned on, then turning them off might resolve
your problem.  (These are likely caused by slowness of the windowing
system.)

2. A better rule than "Don’t use the menu" is "Use the menu when you
are using a mode that you don’t use often or don’t use for long".
In those cases, you won’t have learned the mode-specific keybindings
and commands.

3. If you do not use the toolbar or tool-tips, then to troubleshoot
your problem, try to reproduce is by starting Emacs without any
configuration customization (start with "emacs -Q") and see if the
problem persists.  If it does not persist, then start adding
pieces of your customizations to the initialization file to see
if you can isolate the source of the problem, which you can then
ask about here on this mailing list.