Re: timers/coutdowns and error in tmr [name org.freedesktop.Notification

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: timers/coutdowns and error in tmr [name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files")]
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 09:56:36 +0200

Hi Samuel,

> i ran tmr and got this:
>
>   Error: (dbus-error "The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not
> provided by any .service files")
>
> i run this when i launch x and fluxbox.
>
>   eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)

This just starts the D-Bus daemon. The error message above indicates,
that a corresponding notifications daemon isn't registered with D-Bus.

I don't know your environment; on my Fedora system this is offered by
Gnome, and started like

/usr/bin/gjs -m /usr/share/gnome-shell/org.gnome.Shell.Notifications

I found a German page describing this for fluxbox using another daemon,
perhaps it helps you: <https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/notify-in-fluxbox/>.

Best regards, Michael.