Re: Guidance with handling email from emacs

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: Guidance with handling email from emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:57:21 +0300

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     >> * Is there a “right” way for easily handling multiple SMTP accounts (or
>     >> identities as Thunderbird calls them)?
>
>     Eshel> Yes, there are a couple of ways to achieve this, none of them are
> really
>     Eshel> great IMO.  But the best way is to customize
> `message-server-alist`.
>     Eshel> You can take a look at my email config here:
>     Eshel>
> http://git.eshelyaron.com/gitweb/?p=dotfiles.git;a=blob;f=.emacs.d/lisp/esy-comm.el;hb=HEAD
>
> Iʼve used `gnus-posting-styles' for this in the past. something like
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       '(
>         ("^nnimap\\+gmail"
>          (address "myusername@gmail.com")
>          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp mail.gmail.com smtps myusername"))
>         ("^nnimap\\+yahoo"
>          (address "myusername@yahoo.com")
>          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp mail.yahoo.com smtps myusername"))))

Another option is to use gnus-alias. You can define `gnus-alias-identity-rules`
to use a
different identity based on the rules e.g.

(setq gnus-alias-identity-rules
      '(("Example-Rule-name"
         ;; If the email was send To: an address from example.com
         ;; use the alias called user@example.com
         ("to" ".+@.*example.com" previous)
         "user@example.com")))

This way you can define an alias and set settings such as the smtp method:

(setq gnus-alias-identity-alist
      '(("user@example.com" ;; Alias
         "" ;; Refers-To:
         "Example User <user@example.com>" ;; To:
         "Example Org" ;; Organization
         ;; Set Gcc so mails are send in the Send folder
         ;; on the imap server example.com
         (("Gcc" . "nnimap+example.com:Sent")
          ;; Using X-Message-SMTP-Method we can tell
          ;; Emacs wich smtp server to use, doesn't depend on
          ;; gnus-alias
          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" .
           "smtp smtp.example.com 25 user@example.com")) ;; headers
         "" ;; Body Text