Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible t

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Make scroll-{up, down} move point to {start, end} of newly visible text
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:41:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> It would be computed from the current state plus the
>> intended scrolling, BTW the data isn't what is currently
>> returned by scrolling.
>
> I didn't say _by_ scrolling, I said _after_ scrolling.
>
>> No, for example, by opening this very buffer, Emacs already
>> knows its state, since it displays "All" in the mode bar (and
>> I didn't scroll).
>>
>> So it is already there. Somewhere!
>
> Yes, but _after_ the display, not before.

It is available before scrolling, like now it says 4%.
The next time I execute a scroll function by hitting a key,
that function could look at that data and use it to determine
if scrolling should take place, and only then do it.

Just now I'm scrolling some more, and now it says "Bottom" in
the mode bar instead. I am able to scroll more, but the
function I describe would in this, changed situation see that
it already is at the bottom and therefore not scroll.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal