Re: Question on updating to 29.1

From: Jens Schmidt
Subject: Re: Question on updating to 29.1
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:04:07 +0200

On 2023-08-11  13:16, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Maybe just a short sentence about this can be added to the INSTALL/README files?

A short sentence that basically says there's nothing special to do
when you already have an older version installed?  Why is this needed?
In general, if there's no problem, we don't say in the instructions
that there's no problem ;-)

Now that's interesting: Suppose we have file foobar.el(c) from Emacs 28
installed by "make install" somewhere below, say, /usr/local/...

Suppose further foobar.el got removed in Emacs 29.  Will it be actively
removed from /usr/local/... by a "make install" of Emacs 29?

Not sure whether this is what is worrying the OP, but that (and, more generally, version consistency issues) would worry me if used "make
install" to "upgrade" a local installation.

Or have I missed something here?