Re: Question on updating to 29.1

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Question on updating to 29.1
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:21:37 +0000

PierGianLuca <luca@magnaspesmeretrix.org> writes:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I have version 28.1 that I "make install"ed on a Ubuntu machine, for
> the first time. I'd like to update to 29.1 and my question is: do I
> need to do anything about the old version? it will simply be replaced?
> I can't find anything about this in the official documentation, say at

Did you install version 28.1 from a Git checkout or from a tarball?  If
you have used Git to fetch the source, you should be able to update to
the most recent version of Emacs using a "git pull" or "git checkout
emacs-29" (or whatever other branch, tag, commit).  If you have
installed it from a tarball, you will need to download a new release.
This link should redirect you to a close-by FTP mirror:

  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/emacs-29.1.tar.xz

The installation procedure should be similar or even analogous to the
installation for Emacs 28, with the possible exception of additional
./configure flags that you might be interested in, which have been added
in Emacs 29.