Re: Changing site-lisp without installing it

From: Spencer Baugh
Subject: Re: Changing site-lisp without installing it
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 14:46:00 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
>> Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 11:58:14 -0400
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > I use site-lisp, if by that you mean the site-lisp directory that is
>> > put on load-path.
>>
>> The system-wide one in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Don't you need root to change that one?  Isn't that inconvenient?
>
> On my systems, I have the root privileges, so this isn't inconvenient.
> Why don't you on your systems?  I understand that you are the de-facto
> administrator, since you set up things for your users?

I do, yes.

> Anyway, what's inconvenient in using the system-wide site-lisp?  If
> access rights is the issue, Tramp should solve that cleanly, I think.

It just seems less convenient to have to use TRAMP to edit the files.
Doing everything in ~/.emacs.d avoids the access rights issue; it's not
shared, but that's fine since there's only one user in your case (I
assume?).  For my personal configuration on my personal machines, I
generally try to configure things in ~ as much as possible, since all
system-wide configuration has the hassle of access rights.

Thanks for sharing your workflow though, it's interesting to hear that
site-lisp works well for this.

Do you install packages into site-lisp, too?  Or, what in general do you
put in site-lisp?

Do you use site-start.el?  default.el?  I definitely hope to use those,
too.