Re: [External] : Re: Making new menu after Tools using keymap-set-after

From: Platon Pronko
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Making new menu after Tools using keymap-set-after
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:32:40 +0400

On 2023-07-19 23:08, uzibalqa wrote:

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, July 20th, 2023 at 7:00 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
wrote:

GNU Emacs 29.0.50
Why is it so difficult to know the snapshot version after doing
a clone or a checkout on master. Rather than just emacs, can the
directory produced include the version (e.g. emacs-29.0.50).

Why does a new Elisp learner prefer to use
an unreleased pretest version of Emacs?

To test that the menu with the new keymap-set-after I am using works.

Do you really need to use `keymap-set(-after)'
before it exists in an Emacs release?

I always strive to get ahead as much as I can.  Might be new but always aware
of the latest development.

The adage "one must learn to walk before they can run" seems particularly
fitting in your case. It's clear you're experiencing some challenges in areas such as
reading and understanding basic documentation, comprehending syntax, interpreting the
source code, or determining the specific git commit you're using.

As you're in the learning stages, it might not be advisable to use pre-release
versions of software or aim to customize every possible feature. The reason for
this caution is that these advanced steps can introduce additional
complexities, making the learning curve steeper. Moreover, you may find limited
help online pertaining to these versions and customized settings.

Your enthusiasm to stay ahead and be up-to-date is commendable. However, it's
crucial to build a strong foundational understanding first. Trying to race
ahead without a robust understanding may not always expedite your learning
journey, but rather could potentially impede it. It might be better slowing
down a bit, mastering the basics and gradually progressing towards more complex
aspects.

--
Best regards,
Platon Pronko