Re: native android emacsclient connecting to termux emacs server

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: native android emacsclient connecting to termux emacs server
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:30:08 +0800

Greg Davidson <greg.davidson@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm delighted to see a native android emacs port!  Alas, I can't do much with
> it
> as most of the interesting things I do with emacs happen under Termux.
>
> I would like to install a native android emacsclient and have it connect to
> an emacs server running under Termux.
>
> I don't see a native android emacsclient yet - is such a port available?
>
> Thanks, _Greg

No, this isn't possible.  Packaging libemacsclient.so separately is not
useful, as it wouldn't have access to Emacs servers running in other
packages.  Additionally, Termux doesn't contain the code needed to
access Android content providers.

Running Termux programs from within the GUI port of Emacs is possible,
effectively replacing the Termux terminal emulator with Emacs.  This
requires building those Termux programs with the package name changed to
`org.gnu.emacs'.  See:

  https://github.com/termux/termux-packages/

and the documentation referred to there for more detailed instructions.

Thanks.