Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 20:52:59 +0200

On Thu 27 Apr 2023 at 12:58, Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs
text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
> Thanks for your support.  I'm reading some code now and I start to
> realize that *just* having an async SMTP sender in Emacs won't be that
> easy.
>
> An example: I'm using Gnus (and message.el) to send mail.  If you look
> at 'message-send' (lisp/gnus/message.el#4396), that I guess is calling
> 'smtpmail-send-it' down the line, you'll see that it is "waiting" for a
> synchronous 'success' to decide what to do next (for example, renaming
> the buffer from *unsent...* to *sent...*).  This won't work as is with
> an async SMTP sender.  I imagine that there are other places with code
> like that and that it could break many workflow.

You might be after feedmail with feedmail-enable-queue.  Then you can
feedmail-run-the-queue, either started manually/synchronously in
separate emacs instance or use async-emacs function I sent recently:

   id:875yad240l.fsf@logand.com
   Subject: Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE
   Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 02:39:06 +0200