Re: Non file buffers and default-directory

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Non file buffers and default-directory
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:12:11 +0200

Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Ok. I didn't know about that so maybe I could live with that
> using `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' only.

Again, you having to do that manually and repeatedly, what
problem does that indicate? Don't know but I would start
thinking from there as well ...

>> We could improve my proposal by adding a hook, which tells
>> you which buffers to remove. This hook could contain
>> predicates for checking a remote buffer-file-name, a remote
>> process, or a romete dired buffer. And this might be a new
>> command in parallel to
>> tramp-cleanup-all-{buffers,connections}. Whether this is
>> sufficient we'll see, but this mechanism could be tuned
>> after first experiences.
>
> Even if `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' is enough, I think
> that it is a good idea. It would keep closing a "remote" non
> [file|process|dired] from happening. But Emanuel Berg said
> it does not see this behaviour with
> `tramp-cleanup-all-buffers': am I the only one?
>
> Recipe:
>         - C-x d /-:remotehost:
>         - M-x man man
>         - M-x tramp-cleanup-all-buffers
>
> Is the *Man man* buffer closed?

Aha, `dired'! \o/

That's it then, I did `find-file' with tramp.

No, you are right, if you do it with dired it happens as you
say and the reason is (again as you say) the
`default-directory' inheritance.

Bug unless/until someone does a super-cool man page interface
which then would would ask - local or remote man page for
find(1) ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal