Re: macOS keybindings (alt in emacs vs alt in macOS)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: macOS keybindings (alt in emacs vs alt in macOS)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:11:55 +0300

> From: "l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 00:10:53 +0900
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > On Apr 19, 2023, at 21:59, Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote:
> >
> > "l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
> >
> >> I'm trying to set cursor/point navigation in emacs is a way that's similar
> >> to the standard macOS settings.
> >>
> >> I'm stuck at using alt/option + left-right as "left-word" / "right-word".
> >>
> >> I have (ns-alternate-modifier 'none), because I need access to access
> >> special non ascii characters, but that means that alt/option is then
> >> ignored by Emacs, when I need A-<right> and A-<left> (and a few
> >> others) for my setting.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to have Emacs accept Alt as a modifier key in some defined
> >> contexts only and ignore it otherwise?
> >
> > Could you set ns-right-alternate-modifier to 'none?  That'd free the
> > right Option key to enter non-ASCII characters, while you could use the
> > left one to navigate by words.
>
> Thank you Daniel,
>
> There never was a right option key on (my) mac laptops.

Since this variable is described in the Emacs manual, where I assume
you looked in your search for the solution, I wonder if something
there should be clarified/augmented/improved to make the solution of
this problem more obvious?  Would you care to take a look and suggest
any such improvements for the manual?