Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment

From: Yuan Cao
Subject: Re: Emacs in a Corporate Environment
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:33:42 -0400

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 4:48 PM John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org> wrote:

> Sometimes no effort is required...
>
> Eight years ago, when I joined Mathworks, Emacs was already
> the best supported editor for the simple reason that the head
> of the tools group was a long time Emacs user and evangelist.
>
> Eight years later, little has changed.

Too true! Unfortunately, I messed up!

I requested Org Mode for Emacs since our version of Emacs appeared to
be a stripped-down version of an older Emacs version -- ELPA and MELPA
are blocked, and only a very few built-in packages showed up when I
queried `M-x package-list-packages`. Org Mode was not one of the
built-in packages that showed up -- although other similarly installed
packages, as we shall see later, did show up.

After completing the request, I started investigating the emacs
installation and found the `org` directory in the
`...\share\emacs\25.1\lisp` directory. When I tried to withdraw my
request, I got hit with a list of questions I needed to ask the
"vendor" to clarify for OrgMode and Emacs. I am not sure who I can
ask, and the questions feel odd for Emacs.

The inquiry is:
"[...] confirm whether any advanced algorithms, predictive analytics,
dynamic components, machine learning, or artificial intelligence are
used within this product, and whether any part of the input or output
process involves any of these techniques. Examples of non-traditional
modeling capabilities include but are not limited to: auto-complete or
suggested text functionalities; optical character recognition (OCR) or
other image recognition and processing; transcription, translation,
speech-to-text or text-to-speech; search engines; virtual assistants;
and other assistive technologies."

I guess I am a little new to this process, so I might be overreacting.
I just want to make sure that Emacs isn't taken away.

This is a little embarrassing, but I hope this can help someone else
avoid being in the same situation.

Best Regards,

Yuan