Re: help in writing function to pop indirect buffer

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: help in writing function to pop indirect buffer
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:36:45 +0300

* Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> [2023-01-30 16:31]:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 12:51 PM Bruno Barbier <brubar.cs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In your use case, it might not be possible to use indirect buffers: the
> > base buffer and the indirect buffer share the same text and its
> > properties, and, syntax highlighting is mostly done using text
> > properties.
> >

> Gosh!
> I've tested that if I enable cperl-mode in the original buffer, then
> the indirect buffer inherits the syntax highligthing also for new
> code.

I gave you reference:

EmacsWiki: Indirect Buffers:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IndirectBuffers

Where it says:
--------------

It seems one can also set the mode from a fake buffer-file-name (using
auto-mode-alist in the usual way). At least with Emacs v20. So a
fake-file-name of say “x.el” will result in emacs-lisp-mode.

     (with-current-buffer the-indirect-buffer
       (set 'buffer-file-name fake-file-name)
       (set-auto-mode) ; in files.el
       ; (set 'buffer-file-name nil) doesn't appear necessary.
       )

Does using fake file name works?

--
Jean