Re: Shy groups and * ...eh, what?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Shy groups and * ...eh, what?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 08:39:02 +0200

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 06:24:39AM +0200, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to be sure I correctly understood that if you give multiple RX
> arguments to the `rx' `*' operator, they are implicitly interpreted as a
> sequence (AFAIU, that's the case.  An implicit `or' would also make
> sense, that's why I wondered).

I didn't try to repeat your examples, but you are right: there is at least
a big smoking hole in the docs: all of the repetition operators seem to
take zero (one?) or more arguments according to the syntax shorthand, but
the text refers to just one term, like here:

  ‘(zero-or-more RX...)’
       Match the RXs zero or more times.  Greedy by default.
       Corresponding string regexp: ‘A*’ (greedy), ‘A*?’ (non-greedy)

...what is this `A' the text is referring to? Your experiments suggest
that it is the sequence of the `RX...' in the syntax shorthand (i.e.
(seq RX...), but the docs just leave it open :)

Cheers