Re: Navigating an enormous code base

From: Marcus Harnisch
Subject: Re: Navigating an enormous code base
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:15:23 +0200

On 28/04/2022 16.50, John Yates wrote:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 3:14 AM Marcus Harnisch <mh-gmane@online.de> wrote:

I take that as "My project is not large enough
to prompt me to consider partitioning, therefore
why should you?".  The flawed assumption is
that your code base is comparable to mine.

No assumption being made. All I can offer is sharing my experience from projects I work on. Nobody can save you the work of trying for yourself whether any suggested tool satisfies your needs in your environment.

Because it misses the point.  I am not looking
to navigate by tags, but rather by filename.

Arguably, the main purpose of Global is navigation by tags and references. However, one of the database tables stores the path names of all indexed files.

Turns out that my primary use pattern actually involves navigation by file name (‘ggtags-find-file’). In *my* project the combination of ggtags/Helm shows no noticeable delay.

Leo will be able to tell how this works behind the scenes, interacts with Emacs completion frameworks and how it might scale to larger projects such as yours.