Re: strange behaviour: Emacs ignoring one key on my keyboard,

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: strange behaviour: Emacs ignoring one key on my keyboard,
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:29:53 +0100

On Thursday, 14 Apr 2022 at 14:17, emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor wrote:
> Did you try bisecting the problem by going back to previous emacs git
> versions to identify when the problem occurs?

No, I did not as I have no idea when this started happening (it's a key
that I did not use for a long time).

I have, however, sort of figured out what is happening: the Windows key
acts as "super" in Emacs and it seems to do so no matter what I tell the
system via xmodmap.

So, if I type "C-h c WINDOWSKEY d", I do get "s-d undefined" so the key
is being interpreted, just not as what xev and other tools say it is
(i.e. as F20, as I defined it using xmodmap).

So, somehow, maybe, Emacs is interpreting the *keycode* instead of the
*keysym*?  Maybe something in the X11 parts of the Emacs code.
Somewhere to look, in any case, so I'm still investigating.

I have no need for a "super" key as I try to avoid all forms of key
chording as much as I can due to RSI issues.

Thank you,
eric
--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.3