Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 08:31:49 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-10-24 21:33]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > `pwgen' is system command
>
> pwgen is a program.

OS is program, Emacs is program, programs run within programs.

`pwgen' is not Emacs, I hope we can agree on it.

It is external program that is easily replacable in Emacs.

Emacs Lisp within Emacs is environment for itself, it is not Bash nor
Mate or Gnome desktop environment. Many Emacs users decide to dwell
within Emacs environment, some may run Window Manager by using
Emacs. Using Emacs as PID 1 seem to be possible too. And how I see it,
Emacs developers try to avoid where possible using external commands,
call it programs.

For example I can copy or rename files within Emacs Dired without
recourse to /usr/bin/cp or /usr/bin/mv, I believe it runs straight
from Emacs. Mass of other functionality is integrated in Emacs.

By principle we integrate features into Emacs. Picture viewer is
integrated into Emacs, though for me it is often too slow. I like
using M-x sxiv with external program. But when possible I don't use
external programs.

> Also it will take advantages of further improvements to pwgen
> or possible forks or other such programs with no or very small
> adjustments ...
>
> > If then Emacs Lisp programs run on different systems, I like
> > if they don't depend on too many external commands
>
> Indeed must be used to benefit the user ...
>
> > especially one as simple as password generation.
>
> But not simple enough for you do to it at the level of the CLI
> command ...

Before I was using `pwgen' in Bash and storing passwords in
appendable only file ~/.passwords and now I store it in the database
by using Emacs Lisp. Thus `pwgen' is redundant.

> > I cannot write `ffmpeg' so I convert videos by using Emacs
> > Lisp on remote computers calling external `ffmpeg'.
>
> But you cannot write a pwgen either - or at least, you
> haven't yet ... so what's the difference?

Emacs image viewer is not `sxiv' or "Eye of Gnome" but still fulfils
the purpose to view images.

The function `rcd-password' fulfils the purpose of `pwgen' to generate
passwords for me.

https://gnu.support/gnu-emacs/packages/rcd-password-el.html

--
Jean