Re: Emacs i18n

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:57:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> The production of research in any other language than
>> English and French has essentially come to a halt.
>
> That's what it looks like from the (big) bubble we're in,
> yes. But I think China would beg to differ.

Is it possible to get hard facts, as in digits somewhere?

For the FOSS world: mailing list traffic (either in K or
perhaps more easily in the number of posts) in the devel and
user/help lists for a set of iconic software, e.g., CL,
Debian, Emacs, irssi, Linux, rsync, ssh, tmux, X, xterm,
and zsh?

How many posts are in the general (English) lists and how many
posts in other language-specific lists, dealing with the same
software, e.g. the corresponding French list, if available?

And for the university world: say math, CS, IT, Information
systems, and Engineering physics? How many BSc, MSc, and PhD
papers are in English and how many in other languages, e.g.
how many are in French?

And yes data for China as well would be nice. The more the
merrier...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal