Re: branch feature/native-comp

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: branch feature/native-comp
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 00:49:55 +0100

AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> OS: Linux, Tumbleweed by openSUSE
>
> 1) Is there somewhere a description of the git branches of emacs at http://
> git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git ?

AFAIK, no.

> 2) Linux on desktop is moving towards wayland. As far as I understand it
> (probably completely wrong), this is done with a kind of GTK-Emacs.
>
> There is a pure gtk feature branch, "feature/pgtk". I compiled it and it
> works
> under "pure" wayland.
>
> By the way, "./configure --with-native-comp" didn't work (no surprise).

It is --with-nativecomp, but see below.

> But there is also a branch feature/native-comp, which doesn't work under
> wayland. I checked this branch out as well, compiled it, installed it, but no
> fun: At least I always get the GTK error "cannot open display: 1". But in
> a x11 environment (KDE Plasma) in a short test there were no issues.

The native-comp branch is not merged with into pgtk branch (nor into
master, so --with-nativecomp only works on the native-comp branch (and
that option is required to enable the feature)), so right now neither
branch contains those two features.

> As far as I understand it, sense of the latter branch is to speed up Emacs.
> And that makes me curious...
>
> Is there a way to get this native-compiled feature into an Emacs working
> under
> wayland?

You can try creating a new branch that merges those two.