Re: Terminal pinentry in termux

From: Kridsada Thanabulpong
Subject: Re: Terminal pinentry in termux
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 20:45:36 +0700

Hi,

AFAIK, gpg-agent will use the INSIDE_EMACS environment variable to detect
whether GnuPG is being called inside Emacs then forward pinentry to the
Emacs pinentry socket (usually /tmp/emacs<uid>/pinentry) if exists.

My first guess would be something is causing $INSIDE_EMACS to not being
set properly under Termux. You could try to run, inside scratch buffer:

    (getenv "INSIDE_EMACS")

...to see if it was set. If it wasn't, I'm not sure how the variable
was set normally, but in my .emacs I have this line:

    (setenv "INSIDE_EMACS" emacs-version)

To ensure it's present no matter how I run Emacs. If it was already set
then maybe try to inspect if pinentry socket exists at
/tmp/emacs<uid>/pinentry.

Also, if you happen to run gpg-agent as ssh-agent, you'd need to have:

    (shell-command "gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye" "*gpg-update-tty*")

Line somewhere in your .emacs (but INSIDE_EMACS must also already be set).
There's no way for gpg-agent to know which tty to use via the ssh-agent
protocol, but the command also happens to call the function that updates
agent to forward pinentry to Emacs.

Regards,
Kridsada