Do we need to bind to both RET and <return> variants?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Do we need to bind to both RET and <return> variants?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 16:09:22 -0500

Hello,

For the return key (for Emacs GUI) and the C-m variant RET (in nowindow
mode, terminal) to both work, should we be binding to both RET and <return>
variants?

I am sure that this issue comes up now and often, but I cannot find an
older thread with a definitive answer.

Recently this came up on Org mode thread. Earlier the <return> variant of
bindings were used, but then S-<return>, etc. did not work for a user using
Emacs in terminal mode, so the binding was changed to S-RET. But now ..
that doesn't work for Emacs GUI users :)

Ref: https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2019-01/msg00318.html

So what solution would make everyone happy?

--
Kaushal Modi