Re: Optimising Elisp code [again]

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Optimising Elisp code [again]
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 21:35:11 +0200

On 2018-10-09 at 17:26, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
>
>> Btw, what would it change to make emacs
>> hosted by gcl
>
> I mean, compile the Lisp that isn't user
> defined and unlikely to change - compile for
> real, not byte-compile for
> sped-up interpretation.
>
> I.e.: fun-and-play Elisp on the top
>       compiled Elisp in the middle
>       C downmost
>
> ?

We’d get the same problems as mentioned before about loss of dynamism
(you’ll need to recompile everything if changing a core thing, which you
currently don’t need).  Yet the opposite would also be there: some core
functions might be reimplemented in lisp, and then these could be easier
to hack for beginners, or any people uncomfortable with C.

But beside that you would get awesome performances I guess.  Not
*always* like C, because, I guess there are still mallocs and garbage
collection all the way around, types may not be determined as you’d
like, etc.  but especially as elisp is quite imperative (but potentially
less well used, sometimes), you may get quite near performances (I did
hear about 1,2/1,5 more slow than C for compiled elisp).

I’d like to see how the performances of libjit (native jit compiler I
guess) emacs, as previously mentioned, I’ll try it I think.