Re: Importing an ical event to org

From: Tomas Nordin
Subject: Re: Importing an ical event to org
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 22:34:47 +0200

> Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hello List
>>
>> I was wondering if somebody would like to share a nice method to import
>> an ical event. Or just share some method already available I have
>> missed. With some services on the web you get the option to add an event
>> to your calendar. One of the options might be "ical", providing an .ics
>> file for download. I would like to add that event as an org event in my
>> org file I use for events.
>
> There's the org-caldav package in MELPA, you can try that. When it

You see, that's the available method I had simply missed, I already use
that for syncing to my calendar service. I guess I missed it since it
doesn't seem to have any *intended* command for importing an arbitrary
file on your computer. I evaled the function
`org-caldav-import-ics-to-org' given the ics file as argument and it was
added as I wanted into my `org-caldav-inbox' file.

> works, it does exactly what you want. It often doesn't work, though --
>  I'm not blaming the author, DAV stuff is bizarre and unreliable. I've
>  been using it with a Radicale server, and after some bug fixes it
> worked great. Now it's suddenly stopped working again, for no reason I
> can see, and I've been too lazy to figure out why.

It's been working fine for me so far with the calendar stack
simple-calendar and DAVdroid on my phone, posteo calendar service
on-line and emacs org stuff here on my computer.

Thanks
--
Tomas