Re: Question: Is there any way to use the bash completion feature from E

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Question: Is there any way to use the bash completion feature from Emacs shell mode.
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 18:49:47 -0600

ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:
> However, due to various reasons, I prefer to run bash inside Emacs's shell
> buffer. It is easy to copy&paste the result of bash output and reuse
> commands is one reason. (I am so used to keyboard and copy&paste using mouse
> or other pointing device takes much longer.)
>
> Unfortunately, bash's completion feature does not work in Emacs shell mode.
> Obviously, [TAB] is stolen by Emacs for its own handling of TAB character.
> Emacs's tab completion for filenames works great.
> But I would like Bash's completion somehow works, too.
>
> Is there a way?
> Am I missing the obvious?
> (Does using eshell mode helps?)

You mention emacs shell mode.  But if you want bash to handle the
completion then I think maybe you want emacs term mode with bash.
Using term mode is different from using shell mode.  But you get
exactly the bash features you wish.

  M-x term

Note that most C-x keys are remapped to C-c inside that buffer.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Terminal-emulator.html#Terminal-emulator

Keys are mapped:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Term-Mode.html#Term-Mode

The buffer is allocated a separate tty.  The result is that most keys
are passed through directly to bash and therefore all bash completion
works from bash without emacs in between.

Bob