Re: Why does Emacs lack `backward-delete-word`?

From: egarrulo
Subject: Re: Why does Emacs lack `backward-delete-word`?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 13:08:41 +0100

On 07/03/16 04:21, Robert Thorpe wrote:
As Stefan says, it's not usually necessary.  M-y can skip past
irrelevant kills.  Also, if you know you're going to add something
useless to the kill ring, then you can just use backspace.  Getting rid
of a word with backspace, in the few occasions when it's necessary,
isn't that slow.

But, in keyboard macros it can be troublesome.  If M-y has to be used in
a macro that generally spells trouble.  Also, kills are slower than
deletes.  For those reasons I define delete-word in the obvious way,
like kill-word but using delete-region instead of kill-region.  I don't
bind it to a key though, I just use M-x when I need it, which is only
when using keyboard macros.

Your indirect explanation for the lack of a key for `delete-region` sounds plausible.

Maybe my question is a symptom of a more general problem: inexperienced Emacs users, don't know how to edit effectively with vanilla Emacs, especially when they come from mainstream editors. The manual explains Emacs commands, but not how they "work" together. For example, I remember a Emacs user commenting that it is often quicker to kill and yank some text, than to copy it. Not very intuitive, I would say. Therefore, some users might feel frustrated because they are trying to accomplish something by unknowingly "going against the grain" of Emacs.