Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Random832
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 00:08:59 -0500

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Alexandre Oberlin <alxobr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Enabling delete-selection-mode and disabling transient-mark-mode is
>> nothing more than what an average user unsatisfied with the default
>> behavior would try at first in order to get a "Windows notepad" like
>> behavior regarding selection and overwriting.
>
> No. A Windows Notepad–like behavior is what you get with
> transient-mark-mode, shift-select-mode, delete-selection-mode and
> cua-mode all enabled.

A) I think his point is that the user is frustrated and so goes for
whatever knobs look shiny rather than making a reasoned decision
about what options are most suited to their needs.  B) Transient
mark mode, AIUI, doesn't actually affect users who don't explicitly
set the mark in any noticeable way.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
C) IMO delete-selection-mode should never cause text in a non-active
region to be deleted.  And I can't reproduce the behavior (not that
I seriously expected to, given that it's apparently intermittent.)

I do have a question for Alexandre, though... has this ever happened
with typed text, or only pasting/yanking?