Re: Global keymap not found

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: Global keymap not found
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:46:49 +0200

Hi!

Albrecht Mehl <AlbrechtMehl.spamgrab@iesy.net> writes:

> This is my first day with emacs and I am struggling with the manual.
> At a certain point the key 'C-u' is used in an example ... but I do
> not know what command it is bound to as I am reading the manual not
> chapter by chapter, but look for topics important for me.

C-u is special.  C-u is not bound to a command.  C-u is the prefix
argument.  It's a possibility to give an extra input to a command.

E.g. advance one line with 'C-n' and advance 10 lines with 'C-u 10 C-n'.

> So I look
> for the global key map. In 48.3.1 Keymaps the global keymap is
> mentioned, but no link to it given.
>
>   Where can I find the global keymap?

'The "global" keymap is the most important keymap because it is always
in effect.'  (49.3.1 Keymaps)

Possibly 'C-h b' helps you to find some key-bindings.

--
Marco Wahl
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2