Re: org-mode questions

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: org-mode questions
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:07:42 +0800

Colin Yates <colin.yates@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, (newbie warning)
>
> I am about to embark on some extensive writing (in Markdown) and
> org-mode might be just the ticket for this. I particularly like the idea
> of narrowing, which I understand the markdown mode doesn't offer.
>
> I envisage my .org file having the following structure:
>
>  * resources
>  * reviews
>  ** review 1
>  ** ...
>  ** review n
>  * release
>  ** Chapter 1
>  ** ..
>  ** Chapter n
>
> The actual 'contents' being under 'release'.
>
> What I want is to effectively say to org "copy everything under
> 'release', promote them all to top level headings and then export them
> all as markdown.

The easiest thing to do will probably be to put point on "release",
start the export dispatcher, and hit "C-s" once to change the "Export
scope" to subtree. If all the contents you want are under "release",
that ought to do it.

Another approach would be removing the subtrees you don't want, using
the "noexport" tag. But that wouldn't promote the "release" subtree to
top-level.

Hope that helps! If you're likely to have more questions, there is an
org-specific mailing list at gmane.emacs.orgmode.

Yours,
Eric