Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 02:34:35 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> It's quite simple.
>
> When you want a function given a name, you use
> (function NAME) or #'NAME which reads equally.
>
> When you want a symbol, you use (quote SYMBOL) or
> 'SYMBOL which reads equally.
>
> Accidentally, on the current GNU emacs lisp
> implementation, (function X) and (quote X) return
> the same thing, the symbol X,

Why is the distinction important to uphold (on the
level of the programmer)?

Even more so, as sometimes (when?) functions should
not be denoted functions but symbols - as the example
with `put' had it.

> so if you make a mistake ... and if you make the
> opposite mistake ...

If I use `quote' in both cases, and it works, I don't
see that as a mistake in either case, actually I see
that as much *less* error-prone than each time
considering if the sharp quote should be used. It is
much better I let the computer sort that out.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573