Antialiasing problems with light text on a dark background (OS/X 10.10)?

From: Stuart Hungerford
Subject: Antialiasing problems with light text on a dark background (OS/X 10.10)?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 05:48:04 +1000

Hi,

I've been trying out Emacs installed through Homebrew on OS/X 10.10
(both the standard Gnu version and the Emacs-mac variant).

Using light text on a near black background the text is rendered very
bold and thick.  The same font (Inconsolata opentype) in the same
colors and the same text looks much thinner with Terminal.app and
Sublime Text. I've also discovered this bug report which I think is
still open:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2014-10/msg01082.html

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Are there any work-arounds I'm missing?

Any advice much appreciated.

[I've also posted this message to the Emacs OS/X mailing list,
apologies if you're seeing it twice.]

Stu