Re: difficulty entering balance mode

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: difficulty entering balance mode
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 15:14:52 -0700

On 2015-07-26 23:44 +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Interesting, I never did either $ nor \\' and it
> always worked

But it could have worked a bit more often than desired :-)

> What is the reason, by the way? Does it have anything
> to do with `this' Emacs notation?

$ matches end of line.  ' matches end of string or buffer.

If you use $ instead of ' when matching a string, you will falsely
succeed if there's an internal newline.  Luckily that doesn't often
happen with file names.

If you use neither, you will falsely succeed if the search text occurs
in the middle of the string, which could very well happen with file
names.