Re: Can't send e-mail via `smtpmail'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can't send e-mail via `smtpmail'
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 23:00:47 +0300

> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 21:55:01 +0200
> From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> >> It might be worth to note that I'm also connecting to the same server
> >> via IMAP + TLS and it works:
> >>
> >> Opening connection to xxx.xxx.xxx via tls...
> >> Decrypting ~/.authinfo.gpg...done
> >> Opening connection to xxx.xxx.xxx...done
> >
> > smtpmail.el provides a couple of defcustoms to enable detailed logs of
> > the communications with the server.  Did you try turning that on, and
> > if so, what did you see in the logs?
>
> I've only tried
>
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
>
> but it didn't provide any additional info.  If there are other
> variables, then it's probably worth to try them too.

There's one other: smtpmail-debug-verb.

Is smtpmail-send-it at all invoked in this scenario?  Or does the
failure happen before it is called?  If the latter, then smtpmail's
debug facilities will not help you, and I suggest to add 'message'
statements to network-stream-open-starttls to see what goes wrong
there, and why.  (I couldn't even find the place from which the error
message you cite comes.)